Valentine Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced, divided
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, sour cream, confectioners' sugar and extract. In a small bowl, mash 1/2 cup strawberries; stir into yogurt mixture. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2. In another bowl, combine the flours, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk until a soft dough forms (dough will be sticky). On a floured surface, gently knead dough 10 times. Gently pat or roll into a 1/2-in.-thick circle. Cut out two heart shapes with a 3-1/2-in. cutter.
- 3. Place on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool slightly. To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates; spread with yogurt mixture. Top with remaining strawberries and shortcake tops. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 445 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein .
Reviews for Valentine Strawberry Shortcake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.