Valentine Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced, divided
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, sour cream, confectioners' sugar and extract. In a small bowl, mash 1/2 cup strawberries; stir into yogurt mixture. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2. In another bowl, combine the flours, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk until a soft dough forms (dough will be sticky). On a floured surface, gently knead dough 10 times. Gently pat or roll into a 1/2-in.-thick circle. Cut out two heart shapes with a 3-1/2-in. cutter.
- 3. Place on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool slightly. To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates; spread with yogurt mixture. Top with remaining strawberries and shortcake tops. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 445 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Valentine Strawberry Shortcake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.