Valentine Heart Cakes Recipe
Show your Valentine how much you care by serving up one of these adorable heart cakes this year. These sweet treats are a cinch to put together and offer limitless variations for the toppings of your choice! —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 10 individual cream-filled sponge cakes
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup pink sprinkles
- 3/4 cup canned vanilla frosting, divided
- 1/2 cup canned chocolate frosting
- Pink paste food coloring
- Coarse sugar
- 1. Slice five sponge cakes diagonally in half widthwise in the same direction. Slice remaining cakes diagonally in the opposite direction.
- 2. On each of four dessert plates, place two oppositely cut cake halves together to form a heart. In a microwave, heat corn syrup for 15 seconds or just until thinned; brush over tops and sides of cakes. Gently press sprinkles over cakes to coat.
- 3. Assemble remaining cake halves into heart shapes on a wire rack over waxed paper. Place 1/2 cup vanilla frosting in a small microwave-safe bowl; tint pink. Place chocolate frosting in a separate small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave frostings on high for 10 seconds; stir. Microwave in 5-second intervals until slightly thinned.
- 4. Spoon frosting evenly over tops and sides of cakes, letting excess drip off. Let stand until set. Repeat. Gently transfer cakes to dessert plates. Tint remaining vanilla frosting pink if desired. Pipe onto cakes and decorate with coarse sugar as desired. Yield: 10 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC