Valentine Cookie Bouquet Recipe
"I always try to do something special with my fair entries. This cookie bouquet was a blue-ribbon winner," says Marlene Gates, Sun City, Arizona. "It is a great gift for a loved one or makes a nice Valentine's Day centerpiece."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 24 long wooden skewers
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the milk, egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut out with a floured 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Place skewers on top of each cookie with one end of each skewer about 1 in. from top of each heart. Gently press into the dough. Place a little extra dough over each skewer; press into cookie to secure.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Let stand for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
- 5. Roll out remaining dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut out with a floured 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Cut out centers with a 1-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Let stand for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
- 7. In a small bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar and enough cherry juice to achieve spreading consistency. Gently spread frosting over cookies with skewers; top with cookies with cutout centers. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 234 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 146 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC