Upstate Minestrone Soup
If you love vegetables, you'll find this minestrone especially satisfying. Keep the recipe in mind when you have a bounty of fresh garden produce. —Yvonne Krantz, Mt. Upton, New York
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted or 3 beef bouillon cubes plus 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage in oil. Add the onion, carrots, garlic
- and basil; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the cabbage, zucchini, broth,
- tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add beans;
- cook 20 minutes longer. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.