Upstate Minestrone Soup Recipe
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted or 3 beef bouillon cubes plus 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage in oil. Add the onion, carrots, garlic and basil; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the cabbage, zucchini, broth, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add beans; cook 20 minutes longer. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Upstate Minestrone Soup(12)
Sort By :
Been making this recipe for about 10 years and it the most delicious soup. Whenever I make it for anyone they always exclaim about how good it is. I make it just as the recipe says but add a bit more cabbage as it cooks up and can hardly be seen. Also I add more garlic.
I haven't made this soup-sounds great but no nutrition information. I usually don't make any recipes unless I know the nutrient content. Possible to add nutrition information to all your recipes? Thanks
I have been making this soup since it was originally published, and have at least one container in the freezer at all times for quick suppers. I often add an extra can of beef broth and a pint size container of home frozen tomatoes and 2 cans of beans. Change ingredients to match your tastes. This soup is so delicious and a never fail to please meal.
We enjoyed this...very hearty and flavorful.
This is the best minestrone soup I've had. Kudos to you!! Living in the Pacific Northwest, it's chilly quite often, so I make a lot of soups. I will be making this often!