Upstate Minestrone Soup Recipe
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted or 3 beef bouillon cubes plus 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage in oil. Add the onion, carrots, garlic and basil; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the cabbage, zucchini, broth, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add beans; cook 20 minutes longer. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Upstate Minestrone Soup(13)
Sort By :
Made some minor changes...used Italian turkey sausage (sweet), beans instead of zucchini because I had fresh green beans on hand. I did not add salt, but did add a dash of Tabasco to add a little zip. The soup was a big hit...will make it often!
Been making this recipe for about 10 years and it the most delicious soup. Whenever I make it for anyone they always exclaim about how good it is. I make it just as the recipe says but add a bit more cabbage as it cooks up and can hardly be seen. Also I add more garlic.
I haven't made this soup-sounds great but no nutrition information. I usually don't make any recipes unless I know the nutrient content. Possible to add nutrition information to all your recipes? Thanks
I have been making this soup since it was originally published, and have at least one container in the freezer at all times for quick suppers. I often add an extra can of beef broth and a pint size container of home frozen tomatoes and 2 cans of beans. Change ingredients to match your tastes. This soup is so delicious and a never fail to please meal.
We enjoyed this...very hearty and flavorful.