These gems feature an ooey-gooey caramel center and a glossy chocolate glaze topped with sweet pecans. They're perfect when you want something sweet.—Patrice Bruwer-Miller, Wyoming, Michigan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 Riesen's chewy chocolate-covered caramels, divided
- 24 pecan halves
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, chopped pecans, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Stir in the brown sugar, buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Press one caramel into the center of each muffin cup. Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the edge comes out clean.
- Cool for 1 minute; invert onto a baking sheet. Top muffins with remaining caramels; return to the oven for 1-2 minutes or until caramel is softened. Place three pecan halves on each muffin. Serve warm. Yield: 8 muffins.
Originally published as Upside-Down Turtle Muffins in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p179
Reviews for Upside-Down Turtle Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review