Upside-Down Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Fresh strawberries and whipped cream
- 1. Sprinkle marshmallows evenly into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a small bowl, combine strawberries and gelatin powder; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Pour batter over the marshmallows. Spoon strawberry mixture evenly over batter. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Garnish with strawberries and whipped cream. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 272 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 183 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.