- 7 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 to 4 plums, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place 1 tablespoon butter in a 9-in. round baking pan. Put pan in a preheated 350° oven to melt. Remove from oven and sprinkle with 1/3 cup sugar Arrange plum slices in a circular pattern over sugar. Bake for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cream the remaining butter with remaining sugar; beat in the egg. Combine flour, salt and baking powder. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk and vanilla, beating until smooth. Spread evenly over plums. Bake for 30 minutes or until cake tests done. Remove from the oven and immediately invert onto a large serving platter. Serve warm. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Plum Upside-Down Cake in Reminisce May/June 1992, p39
Reviews for Upside Down Plum Cake(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 15, 2010
All the plums ran down the inside of pan when baking...only afew pieces left on the top.