- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, basil and fennel. Add tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Place the remaining flour in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, milk, oil and salt until smooth; stir in Parmesan cheese if desired. Pour over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Upside-Down Pizza(8)
Sort By :
This was ok. I actually used hot Italian sausage instead of regular and still found it lacked flavor even with using fresh basil instead of jarred. If I decide to make this again maybe I'll add crushed red peppers to the dough mixture or sauce and some garlic and Italian seasoning!
Tasty and easy dinner and everyone enjoyed it! Made without the fennel - did not have. Have even used gluten free flour with great results. Served with a salad and dinner was ready!
This recipe was a hit in our family. I used pizza sauce instead of tomato sauce. Next time I will add some fresh mushrooms. It was great for leftovers to. My husband said I can make it anytime.
This definitely tasted like pizza! I used a whole green bell and a little water in the sauce cause it was super thick.
This was a good recipe. I added mushrooms and instead of tomato sauce I used a 14oz jar of pizza sauce and a can of Italian diced tomatoes. It needed a little more topping though since I added extra sauce. Next time I will add more topping mixture.