- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, basil and fennel. Add tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Place the remaining flour in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, milk, oil and salt until smooth; stir in Parmesan cheese if desired. Pour over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Upside-Down Pizza
Sort By :
"There were no leftovers when I made this! This casserole has good flavor and is easy to put together. I had it all made up and sitting in the refrigerator for a few hours before I baked it and it turned out great."
"This was great! use your favorite pizza toppings instead! Definitely will make again. Check out my full review: http://heatskitchen.blogspot.com/2014/03/upside-down-pizza.html"
"This was ok. I actually used hot Italian sausage instead of regular and still found it lacked flavor even with using fresh basil instead of jarred. If I decide to make this again maybe I'll add crushed red peppers to the dough mixture or sauce and some garlic and Italian seasoning!"
"Tasty and easy dinner and everyone enjoyed it! Made without the fennel - did not have. Have even used gluten free flour with great results. Served with a salad and dinner was ready!"
"This recipe was a hit in our family. I used pizza sauce instead of tomato sauce. Next time I will add some fresh mushrooms. It was great for leftovers to. My husband said I can make it anytime."