Upside-Down Pizza Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, basil and fennel. Add tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 2. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Place the remaining flour in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, milk, oil and salt until smooth; stir in Parmesan cheese if desired. Pour over casserole.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 311 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 794 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Reviews for Upside-Down Pizza
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.