Upside-Down Pizza Bake Recipe
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Pour spaghetti sauce into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Layer with mushrooms, green pepper, sausage and 1/2 cup cheese.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix, egg and milk until blended. Pour over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
1 piece equals 378 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 1,117 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Reviews for Upside-Down Pizza Bake
"If you like the taste of pizza without the work, this is a keeper."
"Instead of spaghetti sauce I used pizza sauce. I also sautéed spinach and added it in. It turned out delicious! The advantage is you can add all the toppings you like!"
"Sandy, thanks for the inspiration. This is a keeper!"
"The bones of this recipe are really good. I made mine with left over bolognese sauce and no mushrooms since my family won't even look at them. It tasted good but I think it needed more sauce on the bottom to go with the biscuity topping. Otherwise, the taste was really good and it came together super easy. A great quicky casserole!"
"My family enjoyed this very much. Goes together fast and lends itself to different toppings."
"This is an excellent base recipe that is easily modified. I omitted mushrooms and doubled the cheese and it was great."
"Oh so delicious! A super easy recipe that can easily be adjusted to your family's tastebuds."
"Looks like a receipe from my 1964 Bisquick Cookbook.With small modifications you can make aTaco Bake, Italian Bake & Cheeseburger Bake.Cheeseburger Bake...Taco Bake & Quick Italian Bake.MC from Ohio"
"This recipe is super easy and increadably fast! I like to use spicy italian sausage to add a little kick and everyone in my family devours it! I also added a bit more sausage."
"I have a large family, so I altered this recipe a bit. Since my children tend to pick mushrooms out of food, I opted for the spaghetti sauce with mushrooms (they couldn't tell). I also doubled the sausage, and cheese. This is a very easy dish to make, and very delicious! I have made it twice in the past week (at the request of my family)."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.