- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- egg yolks; beat well. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa,
- salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add dry
- ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk,
- beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed
- until soft peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spoon over pears.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before
- inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 620 calories, 30 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 140 mg cholesterol, 594 mg sodium, 83 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein.