- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium ripe pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the walnuts, brown sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon until blended. Pour into a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Arrange pear slices in a single layer over walnut mixture.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks; beat well. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spoon over pears. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Upside-Down Pear Spice Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p146
Reviews for Upside-Down Pear Spice Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review