Upside-Down Orange Biscuits Recipe
From Mendota, Illinois, Kim Marie Van Rheenen guarantees that "The aroma of these baking is enough to get even the soundest sleeper out of bed!"
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10-12 times.
- 2. Roll into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread with butter. Combine the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting from the short side. Cut into 12 equal slices. Place, cut side down, in a greased 9-in. round baking pan.
- 3. Combine topping ingredients; pour over biscuits. Bake at 450° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan 5 minutes; invert onto a platter and serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 208 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 255 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC