- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in 2 tablespoons oil until tender. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, basil and fennel until blended. Add spinach, mushrooms and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Place the remaining flour in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, milk, salt and remaining oil until smooth. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Pour over vegetable mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Upside-Down Meatless Pizza in Country April/May 2002, p51
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Upside-Down Meatless Pizza
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 26, 2008
Even the dedicated meat lovers in my family enjoy this meatless version of upside-down pizza.