Upside-Down Breakfast Recipe
I first sampled this casserole at my mother-in-law's and knew immediately I wanted the recipe. Pineapple and brown sugar add a touch of sweetness to the rice and ham.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced pineapple, drained
- 2 slices fully cooked ham (6-1/4 inches x 4-1/2 inches x 1/2 inch)
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, combine butter and brown sugar. Arrange pineapple slices and ham on top.
- 2. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Spread over ham.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10 minutes. Let stand for 3 minutes. Invert onto a serving platter and let stand for 1 minute before removing baking dish. Yield: 4 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC