- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, halved
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) raspberry gelatin
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- In a well-greased 13x9-in. baking pan, layer the walnuts and berries; sprinkle with sugar and gelatin. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, water and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in marshmallows. Pour over top.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 15 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Upside-Down Berry Cake
"I have made this cake several times using strawberries and blueberries. I love the ease, taste and moistness of the cake. I do have a problem getting it out of the pan. It never looks as neat as the picture. Sometimes the cake breaks up. The last time I made it, it was done around the sides but when I cut it, the middle was not done. Can you suggest any way to make it easier to remove from the pan. Once I did serve it right from the baking pan instead of trying to turn it over."
"So delicious! Followed the recipe. I was worried the raspberry seeds would make the cake too crunchy, but they were just right. Didn't really notice them."
"I have made this cake twice, and it turned out fabulous each time. Marshmallows make the cake a lot lighter. When I serve the cake, I offer some whipped cream to put on top. Wonderful."
"Did not look appealing. I should have just baked the cake then put the fresh fruit on top although it tasted good it did not look appetizing. Would not make this recipe again"
"This recipe was amazing! Made it for Fourth of July and everyone loved it! Instead of a cake mix, I made my own from scratch and it came out perfect. Also, I used artificial sweetener, and added black berries into the recipe. It is fantastic!"