- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, halved
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) raspberry gelatin
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- In a well-greased 13x9-in. baking pan, layer the walnuts and berries; sprinkle with sugar and gelatin. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, water and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in marshmallows. Pour over top.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews forUpside-Down Berry Cake
"I have made this cake several times using strawberries and blueberries. I love the ease, taste and moistness of the cake. I do have a problem getting it out of the pan. It never looks as neat as the picture. Sometimes the cake breaks up. The last time I made it, it was done around the sides but when I cut it, the middle was not done. Can you suggest any way to make it easier to remove from the pan. Once I did serve it right from the baking pan instead of trying to turn it over."
"So delicious! Followed the recipe. I was worried the raspberry seeds would make the cake too crunchy, but they were just right. Didn't really notice them."
"Did not look appealing. I should have just baked the cake then put the fresh fruit on top although it tasted good it did not look appetizing. Would not make this recipe again"
"This recipe was amazing! Made it for Fourth of July and everyone loved it! Instead of a cake mix, I made my own from scratch and it came out perfect. Also, I used artificial sweetener, and added black berries into the recipe. It is fantastic!"
"I thought this cake was awesome! The flavor of all the berries was quite good. I used extra berries (can you really have too many? ;) I also used pecans because I don't like walnuts but I think next time I make it I will not use any nuts. I really like the flavor of just the berries and the cake. I will be eating a lot of this without a doubt."
"Made this cake tonight. I just mixed sugar directly into fruit (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries), let the fruit make it's own juice and poured directly into the glass cake pan, sprinkled nuts on the fruit, and mixed the marshmallows into the batter, did not use gelatin. Oh so moist and yummy. My son and husband gobbled it up. Will definitely make again."
"I made this recipe with just Strawberries and strawberry jello. It was a hit with all ages (from 6 to 86). I wish the authors would have provided this in 8 or 9 inch squares or rounds rather than the 9 x 13 casserole. I spend more time calculating and measuring the recipe into 2 halves so that I have a plate on which to invert it.Most upside-down cakes I've ever made before were done in 2 smaller increments of 8 or 9 inch each."
"Made it for BUNCO... ladies liked it and it was easy to make"