Upside-Down Beef Pie
Thanks to the yummy sloppy joe flavor, kids dig in...and adults do, too! This recipe's been in my family for years.Jennifer Eilts, Lincoln, Nebraska
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 slices process American cheese, halved diagonally
- Green pepper rings, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, celery, onion and green pepper
- over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in
- soup and mustard. Transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine dry baking mix and water until a
- soft dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a
- 9-in. circle.
- Place over meat mixture. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until
- golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Run a knife around edge to loosen biscuit; invert onto a serving
- platter. Arrange cheese slices in a pinwheel pattern on top. Garnish
- with green pepper rings if desired. Yield: 6 servings.