Upside-Down Beef Pie Recipe
Thanks to the yummy sloppy joe flavor, kids dig in...and adults do, too! This recipe's been in my family for years.—Jennifer Eilts, Lincoln, Nebraska
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 slices process American cheese, halved diagonally
- Green pepper rings, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, celery, onion and green pepper over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in soup and mustard. Transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine dry baking mix and water until a soft dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 9-in. circle.
- 3. Place over meat mixture. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes.
- 4. Run a knife around edge to loosen biscuit; invert onto a serving platter. Arrange cheese slices in a pinwheel pattern on top. Garnish with green pepper rings if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC