Upside-Down Apple Pie Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 5 to 7 tablespoons orange juice
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 1/8-inch thick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Gradually add orange juice, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into two balls. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with heavy-duty foil, leaving 1-1/2 in. beyond edge; coat the foil with cooking spray. Combine 4 tablespoons butter, brown sugar and pecans; spoon into prepared pie plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining butter; toss gently.
- On waxed paper, roll out one ball of pastry to fit pie plate. Place pastry over nut mixture, pressing firmly against mixture and sides of plate; trim to 1 in. beyond plate edge. Fill with apple mixture.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim to 1/4 in. beyond plate edge. Fold bottom pastry over top pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut four 1-in. slits in top pastry.
- Bake at 375° for 50-55 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown (cover edges with foil during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary).
- Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. Invert onto a serving platter; carefully remove foil. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over pie. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Upside-Down Apple Pie
Sort By :
"This is my family's new favorite apple pie. It was delicious! I had to stop my kids from eating a second piece."
"This pie is so much better than classic apple pie...and that's the verdict of a family that loves classic apple pie!Since I don't have a deep-dish pie pan, I used a standard 9-inch pan and ended up using only 5 cups of apples, but I kept the amounts of the spices the same and it was fine.A word of advice: put a pan or cookie sheet under the pie while it bakes...it drips a lot, and it could get messy to clean up!"
"This pie was fantastic! I tried flipping it upside down but then realized that I didn't have the ingredients for the glaze so I put it right back in the pie plate, right-side-up so it was less messy and easier to serve. It was wonderful even that way! I think I will serve it that way from now on and save a little on those extra calories :)"
"awesome apple pie that makes you drool for more. I put a layer of prepared caramel you use for apple dip as a layer in the apples. Gave it a caramel apple flavor. Love this pie"
"This pie is soo good!! I used Fuji apples and left off the glaze. I will definitely make this as my go to apple pie!!! LOVE!!"