Upside-Down Apple Pie Recipe
This pie has won eight ribbons at area fairs. People say it looks and tastes like a giant apple-cinnamon bun. I take time off from work around the holidays to fill pie requests from family and friends. This recipe is everyone's favorite.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 5 to 7 tablespoons orange juice
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 1/8 inch thick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons orange juice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Gradually add orange juice, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into two balls. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- 2. Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with heavy-duty foil, leaving 1-1/2 in. beyond edge; coat the foil with cooking spray. Combine 4 tablespoons butter, brown sugar and pecans; spoon into prepared pie plate.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining butter; toss gently.
- 4. On waxed paper, roll out one ball of pastry to fit pie plate. Place pastry over nut mixture, pressing firmly against mixture and sides of plate; trim to 1 in. beyond plate edge. Fill with apple mixture.
- 5. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim to 1/4 in. beyond plate edge. Fold bottom pastry over top pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut four 1-in. slits in top pastry.
- 6. Bake at 375° for 50-55 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown (cover edges with foil during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary).
- 7. Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. Invert onto a serving platter; carefully remove foil. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over pie. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 613 calories, 26 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 270 mg sodium, 92 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC