Upside-Down Apple Pie Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 5 to 7 tablespoons orange juice
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 1/8 inch thick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons orange juice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Gradually add orange juice, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into two balls. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- 2. Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with heavy-duty foil, leaving 1-1/2 in. beyond edge; coat the foil with cooking spray. Combine 4 tablespoons butter, brown sugar and pecans; spoon into prepared pie plate.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining butter; toss gently.
- 4. On waxed paper, roll out one ball of pastry to fit pie plate. Place pastry over nut mixture, pressing firmly against mixture and sides of plate; trim to 1 in. beyond plate edge. Fill with apple mixture.
- 5. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim to 1/4 in. beyond plate edge. Fold bottom pastry over top pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut four 1-in. slits in top pastry.
- 6. Bake at 375° for 50-55 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown (cover edges with foil during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary).
- 7. Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. Invert onto a serving platter; carefully remove foil. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over pie. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 613 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 92g carbohydrate (60g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Upside-Down Apple Pie
"I love the idea of the orange juice in the crust instead of water! I will have to try that."
"My family has not stopped asking me to make another one. It was gone in 1 day!"
"All I have to say is I have never been a fan of apple pie, but I decided to make this because my husband is, and it was amazing!! I have my 2nd one this week baking right now to take to a friends house tonight. The only thing I changed was I used milk in the glaze instead of orange juice. But the crust was the best! Some other reviews said that the top didn't get dark enough when flipped, but I used dark brown sugar and the top looked fine. Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe!!"
"This is my family's new favorite apple pie. It was delicious! I had to stop my kids from eating a second piece."
"This pie was fantastic! I tried flipping it upside down but then realized that I didn't have the ingredients for the glaze so I put it right back in the pie plate, right-side-up so it was less messy and easier to serve. It was wonderful even that way! I think I will serve it that way from now on and save a little on those extra calories :)"
"This is the second apple pie I have made. My Sorority Sisters said it is a keeper. And my husband said why haven't you made this before! The only thing I did different was to add a full teaspoon of cinnamon. I liked the hint of orange in the crust and glaze. It was not over powering. Since I just bought a bushel of yellow delicious apples I WILL be making this several more times."
"This is the second apple pie that I have made. My Sorority Sisters said it is a keeper. One gal even tried to hide it so she could take it home. I did add an extra 1/2 tsp of cinnamon."
"Fantastic recipe! The crust turned out nice and flakey and the topping was perfect."
"This pie is delicious. I will be making this again for sure!"
"Made this yesterday. Used store-bought pie crust and water in the glaze. Cut sugar to 3/4 cup. Came out great! This recipe is definitely a keeper."
"MADE THIS TO TAKE TO A FALL AFFAIR WE ALWAYS ATTEND..WHAT A HIT THIS WAS!! HAD TO TAKE NAME/EMAIL'S OF ALL WHO WANTD THE RECIPE..WENT OVER VERY WLL/WHAT CHANGE FROM REGULAR APPLE pie.. WILL BE COME ONE OF MY FAVES."
"613 CALORIES AND 26 GRAMMS OF FAT IN ONE SLICE???? THER IS NO WAY THAT i WOULD USE 1/3 OF MY DAILY AVERAGE CALORIE INTAKE ON A PIECE OF pie, NO MATTER NO GOOD. THIS RECIPE IS NOT FOR ME!"
"I was wondering if anyone made it without the pecans? I have an allergy but love the sound of this pie! Can someone come up with a idea for a substitute?"
"Is the carb count correct 92 carbs seems like a lot? Please, please be lower!I love apple pie. It looks so good. Congrats on winning so many ribbons at the fairs."
"Very good apple pie...I saw this made at one of the TOH cooking school shows and couldn't wait to try it. It looked pretty and tasted good too. I really liked the pecan topping, yum! I agree that it was a little pale on the bottom, and it probably would've benefited from being stuck into the oven to brown more after being inverted onto the plate...However, overall it was tasty!"
"My husband requested this recipe as soon as he saw it in the Country magazine. I waited until fall to make it. It is easy to make & tastes wonderful!"
"My family loved this delicious and out-of-the-ordinary pie. Next time, though, I'll put it back in the oven after flipping it upside down just so it browns more on top. The taste was scrumptious but it looked a tiny bit pale. YUMMY!"
"Amazing. Gets raves every time."
"This is truly the best apple pie I have ever tasted!!!"
"I bought refrigerated pie crust; and I did not make the orange glaze. Was really tasty!"
"This recipe rocks. The directions were very easy to follow and it came out wonderful. I didnt have a deep pan, so I just didnt use as much filling and it still came out great. I think my favorite part it is the crust....I now use this as my standard pie crust. I think next time I bake it, I am going to try to incorporate caramel into it, maybe on the bottom (or top, however you look at it) with the pecans."
"Great tasting pie! I did have to double the recipe for the crust as it was bursting at the seams due to the amount of filling- but it's great!"
"Can it be made without the pecans."
"This pie was delicious. I will make it again and again."
"I made this pie last Thanksgiving and it was wonderful. Very easy to make. I made it with prepared pie dough to save some time and it was still delicious. I also used water for the glaze instead of orange juice and it turned out fine. I've already had numerous requests to bring it to Thanksgiving dinner again this year."
"Re: Upside-Down Apple pieI made three of these pies just a couple of weeks ago. We didn't get all of them eaten right away. I also used 1/2 sugar and 1/2 Splenda. Worked great. Taste was good also. We ate the last pie after it had been made a week. It was still delicious. I heated it up a bit in the microwave to make it more like a freshly baked pie. Wonderful. Thanks.Joyce"
"I just made this pie this P.M. and it turned out pretty good. I cut back on the sugar for the filling to 3/4 cup but I thinkit is still to sweet but it was good and everyone seems to like it! I tryed to jack with the crust and made it wi oil and butter instead of shortening but it made it tough.. The over all flavor of this pie was excellent... we used not quite ripe gravenstein apples... Yumm!Lori"
"This is the first pie I have ever made and it is amazing! The orange juice in the crust is awesome! Best crust I've ever had."
"looks good - cut down on sugar if too sweet"
"I'm gonna have to try this one soon!!!"
"Re: Upside-Down Apple pieWhat a disapointment! Was Way too sweet and crusts were soggy. I even baked it l0 min. longer than directions, but apples not quite done. Not worth the work involved."