- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup shortening, cubed
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cover and pulse until blended. Add butter and shortening; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. While processing, gradually add water until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 45 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Coat a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with cooking spray. Line bottom and sides of plate with parchment paper; coat paper with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and butter; stir in pecans. Arrange in the bottom of prepared pie plate with rounded sides of pecans facing down.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit bottom and sides of pie plate. Transfer to plate; press the crust firmly against pecans and sides of pie plate. Trim edge.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon. Add apples; toss to coat. Fill crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim and seal edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Place a foil-lined baking sheet on a rack below the pie to catch any spills. Bake pie at 375° for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully loosen the parchment paper around edge of pie; invert hot pie onto a serving plate. Remove paper. Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Upside-Down Apple Pecan Pie
"I loved this recipe. I used walnuts instead. Amazing."
"Wow! Turned out perfect! Our whole family loves it. Delicious!"
"I made this pie for Thanksgiving, and everyone is still talking about it. It is off-the-charts awesome!"
"BEST pie ever! My family requests this all the time and so does my friends & family. I I keep this recipe close on hand. Always hear compliments."
"Best apple pie ever!!!"