Upside-Down Apple Gingerbread Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup brewed tea
- 1. Pour butter into a 9-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange apples over sugar; set aside.
- 2. For gingerbread, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then molasses. Combine dry ingredients; add to sugar mixture alternately with tea, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Pour over apples. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 417 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 447mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Upside-Down Apple Gingerbread
"A wonderful fall dessert! The apple really makes this gingerbread stand out. Extra yummy when topped with whipped cream."
"This is absolutely wonderful. I lost my recipe and needed to get it again."
"Love this recipe. Have had this one clipped forever and finally made it. I used Granny Smiths for the apples and pumpkin flavored chi for the tea and it was delicious and very moist. A perfect fall dessert."
"This was really enjoyed by guests. I was deceived by my toothpick test, it was underdone in the middle. Well worth making again, flavor was wonderful; but I will scrutinize my toothpick next time!"
"I first made this recipe when it was in the Taste of Home magazine back in 1993! It's delicious, if you enjoy gingerbread you won't be disappointed. The apples are a great addition."
"tastes wonderful! i used red delicious apples, i like soft sweet fruit, especailly in a cake. delicious. however, i am not sure what i did, but it fell in the middle...odd. still wonderful!"
"I've been making this fabulous fall dessert yearly since I first discovered it. Due to personal tastes, I decreased the cloves to only a pinch and increased the nutmeg and ground ginger accordingly. As I'm an A-1 ginger lover, I brewed ginger tea and added some chopped crystallized ginger to the batter. This cake is a definite winner and is one of my favorite all-time recipes."
"I made this a couple years ago and loved it. It is a wonderful fall recipe :-)"
"I made this recipe several years ago and it sure got raves from those I served it too. It's in my recipe collection book. Kind of forgot about it. Should make it again, now that our Okanagan apples will soon be available."
"This recipe has been a huge success. Always a hit. Easy to make. Thank you for such a wonderful spin on upside down cakes"