Upside-Down Apple Cake Recipe
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, sugar, sour cream, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to sour cream mixture, beating just until combined.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the filling ingredients. Spoon half of the batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Top with half of the filling. Repeat layers.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert pan and remove cake to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over cake. Yield: 14 servings.
1 slice equals 269 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Upside-Down Apple Cake
"Excellent cake, very moist and delicious but it took much longer to bake than recipe said. For the lady asking about egg yolks you use them for something else and only use egg whites in cake."
"Looks interesting, but I'm confused. Are the egg yolks not used? They're not mentioned in the text of the recipe."