Upside-Down Apple Cake Recipe
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, sugar, sour cream, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to sour cream mixture, beating just until combined.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the filling ingredients. Spoon half of the batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Top with half of the filling. Repeat layers.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert pan and remove cake to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over cake. Yield: 14 servings.
1 slice: 269 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Upside-Down Apple Cake
"Good recipe. I used whole eggs with no problem."
"Looks interesting, but I'm confused. Are the egg yolks not used? They're not mentioned in the text of the recipe."