Upside-Down Apple Cake with Butterscotch Topping Recipe
This cake is a favorite of mine. I love the smell of the apples and butterscotch as it is baking. It fills the house with a perfect autumn aroma. —Sabrina Haught, Spencer, West Virginia
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- BUTTERSCOTCH APPLE TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons butterscotch chips
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced peeled tart apple
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in chopped apple; set aside.
- 2. In a 7-in. ovenproof skillet, melt butter and chips with brown sugar over medium heat. Stir in sliced apple. Spread batter over apple mixture.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 290 calories, 15 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 249 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Upside-Down Apple Cake with Butterscotch Topping
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC