- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, sugar, sour cream, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to sour cream mixture, beating just until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the filling ingredients. Spoon half of the batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Top with half of the filling. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert pan and remove cake to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over cake. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Upside-Down Apple Cake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2007, p29
Reviews for Upside-Down Apple Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 6, 2014
"Looks interesting, but I'm confused. Are the egg yolks not used? They're not mentioned in the text of the recipe."