Unstuffing Side Dish Recipe
With sausage, mushrooms, celery and the perfect blend of seasonings, this moist dressing is irresistible. I like to call it "Unstuffing" since it bakes separately from the turkey, which I do on the grill. -Ken Churches, Kailua-Kona, HI
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes or dry cubed bread
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add the butter, mushrooms, celery and onion; cook for 3-5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in the poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl; add stuffing cubes and enough broth to moisten.
- Place in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Unstuffing Side Dish in Taste of Home October/November 1995, p31
Reviews for Unstuffing Side Dish(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 7, 2012
This is the best stuffing that I have ever fixed. The flavors blend so nicely together. My family always makes sure that I make this at the holidays.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Side Dishes >
- Sausage Stuffing >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Stuffing Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >