Unstuffed Jalapeno Popper Burgers Recipe
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 4 slices frozen garlic Texas toast
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup garlic-herb spreadable cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four oval patties.
- 2. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- 3. Meanwhile, prepare Texas toast according to package directions. In a large skillet, saute onions and red pepper in butter until tender. Spoon onion mixture onto toast slices; top each with a burger, avocado slices and spreadable cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 burger equals 701 calories, 47 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 161 mg cholesterol, 1,099 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 39 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.