Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole
"I received the recipe for this hearty ground beef and cabbage casserole from a teacher at the preschool where I work," notes Judy Thorn of Mars, Pennsylvania. "It's a nutritious and economical meal for busy families."
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked Minute® White Rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place the cabbage in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a large
- skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no
- longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, salt if desired and pepper;
- spoon over cabbage.
- Combine soup and water; pour over beef mixture. Cover and bake at
- 350° for 40-50 minutes or until rice and cabbage are tender.
- Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until the
- cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with lean ground beef, reduced-fat reduced-sodium tomato soup and reduced-fat cheese and without salt) equals 342 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 690 mg sodium,