Unstuffed Cabbage Recipe
- TOMATO SAUCE:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- In a large skillet, combine sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the rice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over rice mixture; mix well. Shape into 36 balls, about 1-1/4 in. in diameter. Add to simmering sauce.
- Cover and simmer about 45 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Uncover and cook for 15 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Unstuffed Cabbage(28)
Sort By :
All the rave reviews for this recipe shocked me. I made this recipe exactly as listed here and trust me I will never make it again. First of all how do you make meatballs without any binder? I managed to get the mixture to become very loose balls which immediately came apart once put in with the rest of the ingredients. The cabbage wasn't cooked in the time the recipes gave.. I decided the problem was likely that there was not enough liquid to begin with. Rather than toss it I added a can of tomato soup and the required water for that extra 40 minutes . The reason I chose the soup is because many of the polish women we know use that to top their golompki. That helped a lot and also gave it some flavor. BTW I stuck with the recipe and added the raisins and lemon juice. I have to say I kept coming back and looking at the recipe to see if I missed something because the recipe was lacking something imo. Sorry Mrs. Snow but we did not like this version of unstuffed cabbage.
Did not make meatballs. Browned ground beef and onions. Left out raisins but added all other ingredients. I did use a coleslaw mix instead of cabbage, just because cabbage here is very expensive. The lemon juice is so overpowering that I find the end result quite sour. If I ever made it again, I would leave out the lemon juice. I am diabetic and try not to add sugar. My lazy man!s cabbage roll casserole is my go to recipe. Sorry, this just didn't do it for me
Shame on the Polish lady for writing such a review.
Its a joy and great to be open minded about new recipes and cuisine. This dish sounds yummy. Will try to make this and save recipe for making in my crock pot. I think it would make just fine to simmer on low for 6-8 hrs in slow cooker. Great different easier recipe for cabbage rolls....very easy to tweak to your personal taste too. Ty TOH.
it was ok.. maybe kind of wierd with the lemon juice. sort of tangy.. meatballs were ok...not my favorite..