Unfried Refried Beans Recipe
- 8 ounces dried pinto beans, sorted and rinsed
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Tostada shells, optional
- Toppings of your choice, optional
- Place beans in a soup kettle or Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Return beans to Dutch oven; add the 2 quarts water. Add the chili powder, garlic, 1-3/4 teaspoons cumin, pepper, 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until beans are tender.
- Drain beans, reserving 3/4 cup liquid. Place bean mixture in a bowl; coarsely mash. Gradually stir in reserved cooking liquid until mixture reaches desired consistency. Stir in the remaining cumin and salt. Serve on tostada shells with toppings of your choice if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Unfried Refried Beans
Sort By :
"These are way better than canned! Healthy and delicious. I also doubled the beans and kept everything else the same. I like to freeze the leftovers for a quick, easy meal during the week."
"Great alternative to canned refried beans, my husband has to watch his sodium, so always looking for healthier ways to cook. I didn't have pinto beans and used black beans instead. Also used salt substitute, worked fine!"
"I really like this recipe"
"This was so bland I was searching for things to put in it to get it some flavor. I ended up adding more cumin, a ton of salt, and sour cream. I was able to use it but won't be making it again!!!"
"P.S. I double the dried pinto beans to 16 oz and leave everything else the same. Good and healthy."