Kids and adults will enjoy decorating this patriotic treat as well as eating it! I had fun creating the recipe and made sure it was easy to do and very delicious. —Annie Rundle, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 8 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 12 cups crisp rice cereal
- 2-1/2 cups shortening
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 jars (7 ounces each) marshmallow creme
- Red and blue paste food coloring
- In a Dutch oven, combine marshmallows and cubed butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in cereal. Press 4 cups into a greased 9-in. round pan. Form remaining mixture into a 5-in. diameter x 6-1/2-in. tall cylinder; place on waxed paper to cool.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat softened butter until fluffy; beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Beat in marshmallow creme until light and fluffy.
- Unmold cereal mixture from 9-in. pan and place on a cake plate. Place 3 cups frosting in a small bowl; beat in red food coloring until smooth. Frost top and sides of 9-in. cake with 1 cup red frosting.
- Place 1 cup white frosting in a small bowl; beat in blue food coloring until smooth. Frost bottom 2-1/4 in. of the cylinder with blue frosting. Place cylinder on cake. Frost the rest of the cylinder with red frosting.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert #48 basketweave tip. Using white frosting, pipe stripes on sides of hat. With a #7 round tip, pipe trim.
- Using a 1-1/2 in. star cookie cutter, press a row of stars onto hatband. Fill in stars with white frosting using the #7 tip. Yield: 24 servings.
Originally published as Uncle Sam's Crispy Treat Cake in Taste of Home
Reviews for Uncle Sam's Crispy Treat Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review