- 8 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 12 cups crisp rice cereal
- 2-1/2 cups shortening
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 jars (7 ounces each) marshmallow creme
- Red and blue paste food coloring
- In a Dutch oven, combine marshmallows and cubed butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in cereal. Press 4 cups into a greased 9-in. round pan. Form remaining mixture into a 5-in. diameter x 6-1/2-in. tall cylinder; place on waxed paper to cool.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat softened butter until fluffy; beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Beat in marshmallow creme until light and fluffy.
- Unmold cereal mixture from 9-in. pan and place on a cake plate. Place 3 cups frosting in a small bowl; beat in red food coloring until smooth. Frost top and sides of 9-in. cake with 1 cup red frosting.
- Place 1 cup white frosting in a small bowl; beat in blue food coloring until smooth. Frost bottom 2-1/4 in. of the cylinder with blue frosting. Place cylinder on cake. Frost the rest of the cylinder with red frosting.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert #48 basketweave tip. Using white frosting, pipe stripes on sides of hat. With a #7 round tip, pipe trim.
- Using a 1-1/2 in. star cookie cutter, press a row of stars onto hatband. Fill in stars with white frosting using the #7 tip. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews for Uncle Sam's Crispy Treat Cake
"This was nice using rice krispie treats, but next time I would make it all cake. I don't care for RK treats with frosting. Just use 9 inch and several 6 inch round cakes, maybe even different fillings in the cakes. It will end up looking the same but be a completely different dessert."
"You can make a Thanksgiving Pilgrim's hat by using chocolate icing w/ black paste color added and a yellow icing buckle."
"Thanks but a lot of work"
"The red and blue paste coloring were messy and unappetizing. I actually found the red food coloring bitter."
"the cylander was tough to make and there didn't seem to be enough "sticky" to hold it together. I followed the recipe exactly."
"Cute but too much fuss & feathers. Try this easier patriotic theme treat.Put crispy treats in oblong pan and when cool, cut with a star cookie cutter. Frost as desired"
"This recipe was awsome all the stuff i had at home, NO RUSHING TO THE STORE!!! Easy to make, and the kids loved it."
"After reviewing the recipe again, we have switched the butter in the frosting to shortening in order to achieve a white frosting and get a more true red color when tinting it. We have also slightly adjusted the amounts of frosting to be colored. 3 cups should be tinted red (with 1 cup used for the base; 2 cups on the cylinder); 1 cup should be tinted blue and there should be about 2 cups remaining as white. Save remaining frosting for another use.These changes will be updated here soon. We apologize for any inconvenience.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"
"A lot of work! I could not get the frosting to be red. Ended up more like orange. The recipe had you make much more red frosting than what you really needed. The same goes for the blue frosting, therefore, I ran short on the white frosting. Wish I could get my time and money back. It does taste good, but could not take to work as I had planned. I do not recommend attempting it."
"takes too long!!!!!!"