Ultimate Pastrami Sandwiches Recipe
This peerless pastrami sandwich was adapted from a menu favorite at Primanti Bros. Restaurant in Pittsburgh. We took the basic ingredients—grilled cold cuts, cheese, fried potatoes and tomatoes—and created a tasty replica, including our version of their secret coleslaw topping. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar, divided
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 3-1/2 cups frozen waffle-cut fries
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound sliced deli pastrami
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 8 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick), toasted
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the sugar and vinegar; add cabbage and toss to coat. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, bake fries according to package directions.
- 2. Drain cabbage. In a small bowl, combine the salt, celery seed, pepper and remaining sugar and vinegar; pour over cabbage and toss to coat.
- 3. On an ungreased baking sheet, divide pastrami into four stacks; top each with cheese. Bake at 450° for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Place pastrami on four toast slices. Layer with fries, coleslaw, tomato slices and remaining toast. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
1 sandwich equals 586 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 1,655 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 36 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC