Ultimate Pastrami Sandwiches Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar, divided
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 3-1/2 cups frozen waffle-cut fries
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound sliced deli pastrami
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 8 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick), toasted
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the sugar and vinegar; add cabbage and toss to coat. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, bake fries according to package directions.
- 2. Drain cabbage. In a small bowl, combine the salt, celery seed, pepper and remaining sugar and vinegar; pour over cabbage and toss to coat.
- 3. On an ungreased baking sheet, divide pastrami into four stacks; top each with cheese. Bake at 450° for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Place pastrami on four toast slices. Layer with fries, coleslaw, tomato slices and remaining toast. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
1 sandwich: 586 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 1655mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 6g fiber), 36g protein
Reviews for Ultimate Pastrami Sandwiches
"I grew up in Pittsburgh, which is known for its melting pot of ethnic foods. This sandwich is a melting pot, too, with all kinds of things you wouldn't expect to find together. It works in Pittsburgh and it works at home. Delicious!"