Ultimate Panini Recipe
“The aroma of onions cooking at country fairs and street vendor carts makes me crave caramelized onions. I wanted to pair them with something special, and this sandwich is just that.”—Charlene Brogan Falmouth, Maine
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 8 garlic-flavored sandwich pickle slices
- 8 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- 2. Layer the cheese, ham, tomato, pickles and caramelized onions on four bread slices; top with remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter.
- 3. Cook on a panini maker or indoor grill for 3-4 minutes or until bread is browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 panini equals 405 calories, 22 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 1,188 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC