- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 small tomato, sliced
- 4 garlic-flavored sandwich pickle slices
- 4 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Layer the cheese, ham, tomato, pickles and caramelized onion on two bread slices; top with remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter.
- Cook on a panini maker or indoor grill for 3-4 minutes or until bread is browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Ultimate Panini for Two
"I really don't require a recipe for a sandwich like this! Just looking in the refrigerator gives one so very many choices. The writer came up with a very tasty combination but why take up space in a publication with a basic ham and cheese sandwich with condiments. Everyone is caramelizing onions these days and that is the more difficult ingredient. I expect this magazine to guide me into more challenging recipes using that are quick and easy but that might appear to be not so on first read."