- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups ice water
- 4 bone-in pork center-cut rib chops (1 inch thick and 8 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- BASIC RUB:
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin and ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine salt, sugar and 2 cups water; cook and stir over medium heat until salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat. Add 2 cups ice water to cool brine to room temperature.
- Place pork chops in a large resealable plastic bag; add cooled brine. Seal bag, pressing out as much air as possible; turn to coat chops. Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish. Refrigerate 8-12 hours.
- Remove chops from brine; rinse and pat dry. Discard brine. Brush both sides of chops with oil. In a small bowl, mix rub ingredients; rub over pork chops. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Grill chops on an oiled rack, covered, over medium heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 145°. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forUltimate Grilled Pork Chops
"Loved this recipe. I have tried others for grilling pork chops but this is the recipe I will save and use again."
"I really did not think the brine did very much. Overall these were nothing special and I didn't think the rub was that great. Won't make again."
"These are the best pork chops I've ever grilled. The brine was key, I believe. The rub was a very good flavor with the pork. I had used the bone-in center cut chops that were about an inch thick. Grilled them for about 4 minutes on each side as the recipe called for. They were so juice and tender - we loved them!! Will definitely be making these again!!"
"These were very good. We loved the taste of the rub. The only issue we had was that the pork wasn't as tender as we expected it to be per the reviews but it was still good enough to make again."
"I am not sure what we did wrong, but these were among the worst pork chops we have ever done. We brined, exactly according to the recipe. We made the rub precisely according to the recipe. We cooked exactly as described. The end product was tender, but with almost no texture at all, a bit like dense tofu. The taste of the rub was so bad, we were not able to eat more than half of them, and threw out the rest instead of using for leftovers. I am sorry; I cannot believe all the 5-star reviews, but perhaps we did do something wrong. Any ideas?"
"Very juicy and delicious."
"WOW! This was great, wouldn't change a thing!"