Ultimate Fruity Granola Recipe
Honey, maple syrup and vanilla coat this wonderfully crunchy treat that's fantastic no matter how you serve it—on its own, with cold milk, or in a yogurt parfait. —Sarah C. Vasques, Milford, New Hampshire
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:18 servings
- 5 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried banana chips
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, halved
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the oats, almonds, sunflower kernels and flax. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, oil, salt and cinnamon. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until brown sugar is dissolved and mixture is heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over oat mixture and toss to coat.
- 2. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, stirring every 8 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Stir in dried fruits. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 9 cups.
1/2 cup equals 253 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC