Ultimate Corn Bread
We agree with Nita Cameron who says that her corn bread recipe is out of this world. “I think it’s the tastiest corn bread I’ve ever had,” says the Tacoma, Washington reader.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1-1/4 cups butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl,
- whisk the eggs, milk and butter; stir into the dry ingredients just
- until moistened. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before cutting.
- Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 390 calories, 25 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 541 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.