Ultimate Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 onion or kaiser rolls, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 12 tomato slices
- 1. Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. Pour buttermilk into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. In a shall bowl, combine the biscuit mix, cornmeal, paprika, salt, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne. Remove chicken one piece at a time, allowing excess buttermilk to drain off. Discard buttermilk. Coat chicken with cornmeal mixture; place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 8-12 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reaches 170° and coating is lightly browned. Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 372 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 759mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein
Reviews for Ultimate Chicken Sandwiches
"Better than the fast food version! Great baked or pan fried."
"Everyone loved them. They are easy to make and easy to clean up afterwards. Nice flavor!"
"My family just loves these. They are really easy and quick to make."
"I have made these several times in years past. I love how tender the buttermilk makes the chicken. I add less cayenne so the kids will eat them and I spray the tops with a bit of cooking spray before baking to make them a little crispier. We love them!"
"Tasty sandwich! But I did pan-fry the chicken to give it a nice crispy texture."
"I have made these twice and I seem to get the same result..the breading is not crunchy or crispy at ALL (I am sure its because there is no frying involved) and the flavor is a bit ho-hum. I have even added extra seasonings to it and still..just a plain ol chicken sandwich in my opinion. :("
"This is one of the best chicken sandwiches I've tried."