After making these sandwiches, you'll never order the fast-food kind again. Marinating the chicken overnight in buttermilk gives it a wonderful taste and tenderness. The zippy breading is golden and crispy. —Gregg Voss of Emerson, Nebraska
Recommended: Our Most Gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Ever
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 onion or kaiser rolls, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 12 tomato slices
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. Pour buttermilk into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the biscuit mix, cornmeal, paprika, salt, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne. Remove chicken one piece at a time, allowing excess buttermilk to drain off. Discard buttermilk. Coat chicken with cornmeal mixture; place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 8-12 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reaches 170° and coating is lightly browned. Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ultimate Chicken Sandwiches in Light & Tasty April/May 2002, p29
Reviews for Ultimate Chicken Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 13, 2015
"Better than the fast food version! Great baked or pan fried."
Reviewed Aug. 29, 2014
Reviewed Oct. 11, 2008
Reviewed May. 14, 2008
"This is one of the best chicken sandwiches I've tried."