After making these sandwiches, you'll never order the fast-food kind again. Marinating the chicken overnight in buttermilk gives it a wonderful taste and tenderness. The zippy breading is golden and crispy. —Gregg Voss of Emerson, Nebraska
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 onion or kaiser rolls, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 12 tomato slices
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. Pour buttermilk into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a shall bowl, combine the biscuit mix, cornmeal, paprika, salt, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne. Remove chicken one piece at a time, allowing excess buttermilk to drain off. Discard buttermilk. Coat chicken with cornmeal mixture; place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 8-12 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reaches 170° and coating is lightly browned. Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ultimate Chicken Sandwiches in Light & Tasty April/May 2002, p29
Reviews for Ultimate Chicken Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review