Ultimate Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 onion or kaiser rolls, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 12 tomato slices
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. Pour buttermilk into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a shall bowl, combine the biscuit mix, cornmeal, paprika, salt, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne. Remove chicken one piece at a time, allowing excess buttermilk to drain off. Discard buttermilk. Coat chicken with cornmeal mixture; place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 8-12 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reaches 170° and coating is lightly browned. Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Ultimate Chicken Sandwiches
Sort By :
I have made these several times in years past. I love how tender the buttermilk makes the chicken. I add less cayenne so the kids will eat them and I spray the tops with a bit of cooking spray before baking to make them a little crispier. We love them!
Tasty sandwich! But I did pan-fry the chicken to give it a nice crispy texture.
I have made these twice and I seem to get the same result..the breading is not crunchy or crispy at ALL (I am sure its because there is no frying involved) and the flavor is a bit ho-hum. I have even added extra seasonings to it and still..just a plain ol chicken sandwich in my opinion. :(
This is one of the best chicken sandwiches I've tried.