Ultimate Caramel Chocolate Popcorn Recipe
Have the munchies? They’re no match for this nutty caramel corn drizzled with melted chocolate. —Kim Forni, Claremont, New Hampshire
- 18 cups air-popped popcorn
- 1 can (15 ounces) mixed nuts
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups dark chocolate, milk chocolate and/or white baking chips
- 3 teaspoons shortening
- 1. Preheat oven to 250°. Place popcorn and nuts in a greased roasting pan; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir 5 minutes.
- 2. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda (mixture will foam). Quickly pour over popcorn and mix well.
- 3. Transfer to two greased 15x10X1-in. baking pans.
- 4. Bake 1 hour or until dry, stirring every 15 minutes.
- 5. In a microwave, melt each chocolate separately, adding 1 teaspoon shortening to each 1/2 cup chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over popcorn mixture; let stand until set.
- 6. Break into clusters. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 5 quarts.
1 cup equals 419 calories, 24 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 389 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC