Ultimate Caramel Apples Recipe
I have such a sweet tooth that I’ve been known to make a dessert just to satisfy my craving. One day when I was in the mood for caramel, I came up with these fun treats. —Clarissa Loyd, Mineral Wells, Texas
- 6 medium Red Delicious apples
- 6 Popsicle sticks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- Pinch baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, chopped, divided
- 3 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Wash and thoroughly dry apples. Insert a Popsicle stick into each; place on prepared pan. Chill.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in baking soda. Stir in butter until melted; gradually add cream, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 242° (firm-ball stage). Remove from heat and cool to 200°.
- 3. Place 1/4 cup pistachios in a shallow dish. Dip apples into caramel mixture until completely coated, then dip the bottom of each in pistachios. Return to baking sheet; chill.
- 4. In a microwave, melt white chocolate; stir until smooth. Transfer to a small heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Drizzle over apples. Repeat with semisweet chocolate. Sprinkle tops with remaining pistachios if desired. Chill until set. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 577 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 105g carbohydrate (83g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Ultimate Caramel Apples
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC