Ultimate Bacon-Maple French Toast Recipe
A savory update on baked French toast, this is an easy make-ahead dish that is excellent for brunch and showers. The combination of maple syrup, bacon and nuts makes it impressive and satisfying.—John Whitehead, Greenville, South Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing YIELD:10 servings
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Maple syrup
- 1. Grease a 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- 2. In a large shallow bowl, whisk first 10 ingredients. Dip each slice of bread into egg mixture. Arrange slices into prepared dish. Pour remaining egg mixture over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients. Spread over top.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Drizzle with syrup. Yield: 10 servings.
1 piece (calculated without syrup) equals 612 calories, 36 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 250 mg cholesterol, 694 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC