- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 large), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 pounds medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 package (12 ounces) pitted dried plums, halved
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, combine the sweet potatoes, carrots and plums. Combine the orange juice, water, honey, brown sugar and cinnamon; pour over vegetables.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; dot with butter. Bake 45-60 minutes longer, carefully stirring every 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and sauce is thickened. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Tzimmes
"Looking for a recipe for Passover next week. I'll try this but without the butter. Who uses butter on Passover?? It's not kosher, but I guess it would work for a vegetarian seder."
"I loved it, I cooked it right in roaster with my chicken and it came out beautiful. My package of plums was only 6 ounces but it was enough and I used real fresh juiced oranges and it was wonderful, very sweet though, you won't need a dessert."
"Very easy, very good, makes tons!"
"Made this recipe for family Seder dinner last year and they requested it again this year. It's great, but I confess to substituting dates for the pitted plums."