Two-Squash Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 cups (16 ounces) small-curd cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small unpeeled yellow squash, shredded
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, fennel seed, salt and pepper; set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine 1 cup mozzarella cheese, cottage or ricotta cheese and eggs. Place half the zucchini in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with half the flour. Top with half the meat sauce and half the cheese mixture. Repeat layers of zucchini, flour, meat sauce and cheese mixture. Combine remaining mozzarella with yellow squash; spoon over cheese mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 286 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 972 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.