Two-Potato Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound small unpeeled red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan; add broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until almost tender. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; add to potatoes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, milk and evaporated milk until smooth; add to potato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the cream cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until cream cheese is melted and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Garnish with Swiss cheese. Yield: about 3 cups.
1 cup (prepared with reduced-fat cream cheese, fat-free evaporated milk and reduced-fat Swiss cheese) equals 245 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 689 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.