Two-Potato Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Shepherd's Pie has another name, Cottage Pie, and mashed potatoes have another alternative - sweet potatoes. Whatever you call it, there's enough in the recipe to bake one casserole and freeze the other for up to 3 months. Did we mention Cumberland Pie is a cousin, but with bread crumbs on top? —Marcie Brooks-Smith, Fort Collins, Colorado
- 5 large potatoes and/or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, sausage, mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain.
- 3. Stir orange juice, orange peel, nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is evaporated.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Transfer meat mixture to two greased 8-in.-square baking dishes.
- 5. Drain potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add mustard, brown sugar, vinegar and remaining salt and pepper; mash until smooth. Spread over meat mixture.
Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
1 serving equals 410 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 573 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC