Two-Pot Dinner Recipe
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (31 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (30 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender; remove with a slotted spoon. Transfer bacon and onion to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. In the same skillet, cook beef until no longer pink; drain and add to slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 415 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 1,068 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Reviews for Two-Pot Dinner
"Was given a similar recipe years ago - called Calico Beans. I use at least 5 different beans, i.e., black, red, lima, butter, great northern, pinto, etc., thus, the name, "Calico" Beans. It's a great potluck dish."
"This was excellent! I did add an extra 1/2 lb of ground beef, used 3 small cans of pork n beans, used 2 small cans of light kidney beans. The extra ground beef gave it more of a meaty meal instead of a beany meal. This made enough for 8 regular size servings. Awesome Meal!"
"This was really good and filling. I used 1.5 lbs. of ground beef; 3 small cans of pork n beans; 2 small cans of kidney beans.Also, I added 1/2 cup of water, so it wouldn't scorch."