- 1 pound sliced bacon, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (31 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (30 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender; remove with a slotted spoon. Transfer bacon and onion to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, cook beef until no longer pink; drain and add to slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Two-Pot Dinner in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book , p60
Reviews for Two-Pot Dinner
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 19, 2012
"Was given a similar recipe years ago - called Calico Beans. I use at least 5 different beans, i.e., black, red, lima, butter, great northern, pinto, etc., thus, the name, "Calico" Beans. It's a great potluck dish."